Thursday, November 06, 2008

Baton Rouge beatdown















Although UGA's season took it's annual nosedive around Halloween (damn you Gators!), it's season looked much brighter the week before. UGA's offense finally showed up for a complete game and took LSU to the woodshed to the tune of a 52-38 beatdown - only the 2nd time EVER an opponent has score more than 50 points at Death Valley (and the other time involved multiple overtime periods).

I had been planning the trip to Death Valley for over a year since UGA only makes the trip west once every five years. In the last few seasons, I've had more fun with road trips than at Sanford Stadium. Sure, every UGA fan likes to 'go home', but I also enjoy experiencing gameday and seeing the opponent's campus and traditions. BTW, I love college football.

I've heard numerous stories about how terrible LSU fans can be. Apparently they didn't show up October 25th because I had the best road experience I've EVER. TONS of free food and drink (and even cuban cigars) were given to me throughout the day (Thanks Dr. Phil!). The tailgate I hung out at was even written up for a story in the NOLA Sothern Cuisine Magazine. I can't say enough about their hospitality! Of course there were a few 'Tiger Bait' chants thrown our way, but most were in good fun and quickly followed by a chuckle. I can't say UGA fans would have been as gracious after a defeat like that. THANKS LSU FANS for a great experience!

I can't say Baton Rouge is a fun place to hang out though, and compared to the Athens nightlife, it was down right BORING! There is no central place to go or hangout after games. There was ONE bar closeby, but it was overcrowded and full of 21-year olds. Compared to other college towns, this was a huge letdown.

Overall, it was a great trip! I'm slowly knocking off each SEC campus. I can't wait for the trip to Fayetteville (sarcasm alert!!!!)

Site Meter

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home