Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Trip to Philadelphia







Recently, Lucy had her first in a series of interviews for her future job. The locations range from Philly to Auburn, AL to Greeneville, SC with each position's job duties being a little different.
The first trip was to Philly and I was lucky enough to tag along. It's my third time to Pennsylvania and my second to Philly - the first time being the 2003 Illustration Conference. I still remembered my way around and was able to hit some spots I missed on my first time here....namely the Philadelphia Museum of Art (yes..the one Rocky ran up) and their Andrew Wyeth exhibit! Good stuff!
I compare my 'big city' experiences to ATL since it's the one I've spent the most time in. The first thing I look at is if people actually live downtown and if there's a 'community' atmosphere. Atlanta doesn't have this....it's just a big corporate dump with all the employees returning to the surrounding suburbs in the evening. Philly of the otherhand does have a great downtown area. There are local pubs, restaurants, bookstores, etc and people are always walking around and sitting in the parks. There's a 'life' to the area that ATL will never have. I sat and enjoyed a coffee in Rittenhouse Square (Lucy was shopping of course) and wished I lived in an area that had this feeling. Although not on par with NY, Philly would be a nice city to live.
BUT...we won't be moving there. Lucy was offered the job, but really didn't feel comfortable with the position. It's mostly a medical writing position, but she feels most comfortable in a hospital setting. Welp...it was a fun trip anyway!


Site Meter

1 Comments:

Blogger Lacey said...

My hubby lived in Philly for about 8 years and LOVED it for all the reasons you stated. He really felt like it was an "alive" city.

That's great that Lucy is interviewing all over the place! Good luck to her and to you! :)

10:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home