Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Begging for punishment

Psycho Wyco 50k is a little more than a month away (Feb 10th) and I'm excited. It's a brutal 50k that I ran last year (my first BTW). Up to this point, I really didn't want to put myself through that again because I had swollen ankles for weeks and couldn't run comfortably for months. I wasn't able to prepare as I would have liked last year though due to travel - in the month before the race, I was on the road for 2+ weeks.
I may be niave, but I think I can not only finish it again, but improve on my time of 6hrs; 40mins. The past few weeks, I been putting more 'miles on my feet' starting with small amounts (4-7 miles) and increasing the number of days I run (2-3). Last week, I bumped my mileage to 21 miles/wk and 4 days. Yesterday, I put in a 13 mile day with at least 3 more run scheduled this week. I'm looking forward to increasing each the next few weeks with some long runs (20+ miles) mixed in.
I'll never be a great runner, but I can do better. I enjoy pushing myself though and immediately after last year's race, I was disapointed in my finish. Don't get my wrong, all this work won't help me win the race, but as long as I know I gave it my best, it's all I can do. Besides, I'll get to see some friends from the KC Trail Nerds and if not for them, I wouldn't be doing long races anyway.

I'm looking forward to it!


Site Meter

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home