Sunday, June 18, 2006

dead deer

As I did my trail run today, I rounded a turn and came upon a deer. Nothing unusual about that, but it only trotted a few feet from the trail and didn't run in fear. I jogged a few more feet and found out why. A tiny baby deer lay in the middle of the trail and was either dead or very sick because it was motionless as I walked past it.
It was actually a sad moment when I realized the adult deer didn't run away because she was watching over her baby. I looked over at the doe and felt a connection - she knew I wasn't going to do anything to her and I knew the situation she was in. I really don't expect the baby to live, but I guess I will see tomorrow when I hit the trails again.


Site Meter

2 Comments:

Blogger Breeves2000 said...

Where was this? SMP? That really IS sad. I'm not a PETA advocate or anything, but I can recognize the maternal connections in 4 legged animals as well as the 2 legged ones. During a trail run, I saw a possum that had been hit by a car and died while delivering 7 babies. Those things are ugly as hell, but it was still sad to see the still alive young ones squirming around by their mother's dead body. The next day, I saw vultures eating them all and by the next week, it was all cleaned up (cue Lion King music in background) so I guess it's all part of the circle of life!

9:35 AM  
Blogger lizcjones said...

Aww. That's so sad!

8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home