Thursday, February 09, 2006

Songs for the race

I've been taking advantage of the ipod shuffle Lucy bought me for Christmas and have used it the last few trail runs when I go alone. I'm sure most of the 50k Saturday, I will be running alone as I won't be able to keep up with the fast KC 'Trailers'. This is where my ipod will come in handy.
I've been experimenting w/ different genres of music on my runs. Depending on what mindset or situation in the race, I'll listen to different songs. This is what I expect to happen.

As I charge out of the gate and onto the first lap, I'll be fun of energy and not focused on pain. I'll just have some upbeat background music. Maybe:
• Chesterfield Kings
• Howling Wolf
• CCR (specifically the jammin 'Heard it through the Grapevine' rendition)
• Flamin' Groovies


On the second lap, I'll have to play something I can sing along to. I have to have something to take my mind of 'the hurts' that will be inevitable. I'll turn to the 'classics' and play songs I know all the words to. I'll look like 'goon' as I run and sing.
• Johnny Cash
• Waylon Jennings
• Bob Dylan
• Townes Vand Zandt
• Gordon Lightfoot


By the third lap, I'll probably be 'loopy' and not thinking straight. My mind will be floating and probably will feel like I'm under the influence. I'll work this condition and use it to help me finish.
• Velvet Underground - heroin
• Pixies - Where is my mind
• Doors - The end
• Roky Erikson (13th floor elevators)
• Brian Eno

Site Meter

1 Comments:

Blogger Ben, aka BadBen said...

Cool. I didn't think anyone else listened to the Flamin' Groovies, but me. I always have "Teenage Head" on my IPod.

2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home